Rich returns

Two days ago the prompt was "return" and I half composed this poem on my way round a favourite local landmark: Uley Bury. I've written several poems about the place,  but there's always space for one more. 


Of all the local walks I've found and loved
The one to which my boots return the most
Sits just above my home.  
The taxing incline repays tenfold
Each panting effort to crest the hill 
To reach the level walk around the ancient fort
Fenced off for cattle grazing.

The sandy western track teases 
Giving glimpses through bare branched trees
Of Severn Estuary,  Welsh Black Mountains. 
It's southern edge widens the horizon
Towards the Cotswold hills:
Dursley nestled under Stinchcombe Hill, 
Uley folded into the foot of the Ewelme Valley. 

Northwards along the rocky ramparts
Raised high above the wooded valley slopes
Towards the once gated entrance - 
Where present day working parties
Do battle with encroaching ash, and elm -
My boots take me down, down, down
Back towards my home again. 


© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?