Do you have a preference?

Whenever I'm asked 'which do you prefer?' I usually say 'I don't mind,  whichever is easier' - because I hate to cause extra work for anyone! But of course,  I do have preferences.  Today's poem is thanks to an idea from Elizabeth Boquet, who by the way is a great poet to follow (elizabethboquet.com).


I prefer modern fiction to classical 
I prefer cats who curl up on your lap
I prefer the smell and taste of coffee
I prefer it decaffeinated nowadays.
 
I prefer blues and greens, 
turquoise and teal above all other colours
I prefer men with blue eyes
I prefer white flowers. 

I prefer walking through woods, alone 
or with the one I love
I prefer the journey to the destination
I prefer a slightly cloudy sky.
 
I prefer to Lindt chocolate to Cadbury's
I prefer custard creams
I prefer mince pies to Christmas pudding
I prefer vegetarian to vegan.

I prefer to avoid conversations about politics
unless I know we all are lefties, 
and are unlikely to fall out -
I prefer friendship to confrontation.

I prefer the freedom of trousers over dresses
I prefer the pace of ships to coaches
I prefer time to reflect
I prefer films with a happy ending. 

I prefer poetry I can understand on first reading
I prefer to make lists rather than leave things to chance
I prefer to leave lists open, with no full stop - 
so things can be added later


© Copyright 2023. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India