Faery

Faery

This time of year driving can be hazardous - you turn a corner in the road and the sun is right in your eyes.  Yesterday I'd forgotten to put my sunglasses in the car, and I'm so glad I did.


Have you seen the fairy roads?
Half hidden, hinted pathways
Between their special places,
Free of mankind's intrusion
For fear of a fairy curse.

Through darkling trees
A steep and narrow road
Wound upwards,
A shortcut to save me time
In the chilly rush of winter.

Winter sun, low,
Blinding, dazzling,
Burnished the road
Into a golden fairy highway,
Leading me on.

Through twists and turns
Past fallen trees, erratic mossy boulders
The road ran on, and on,
Beckoning me ever onwards
As if in hypnotic state.

I shook my head, shielded the glare,
Came to my senses, slowly,
Acknowledged their prior claim,
And my intrusion.  Wished them well
If they would let me go.

At once I turned a corner,
The sunglare disappearing,
Tarmac slickly black once more.
The trees bid me goodbye,
And I could speed away.




© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?