Ruminations

Ruminations

Day 17: write a poem that presents a scene from an unusual point of view. 


Each day I graze across these fields
Sometimes alone, 
Sometimes taking my brothers with me
In a flanking formation
Raking the grass with our muscular tongues
Finding the tenderest shoots 
Chewing,  and chewing,  and chewing. 
If we're lucky he's left open the gates,  
We can roam from field to field
In search of the greener grass on the other side. 
On good days there's a fight
We lock budding horns, trying our strength
Trying to push each other backwards
To rise up the pecking order a notch or two. 
I like it when the trailer comes
With new friends,  
Always much smaller than us old timers,
In need of an education - 
Where the best grass is,  
Where to shelter when it rains, 
Who's the boss 
How to fill the long hours of liberty. 
It's not so good when the trailer comes empty
And leaves with an old friend
One I've got to know well 
Over the weeks we've grown together. 
Maybe it will be my turn soon 
To go and join him. 


© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?