Risky business

Day 26: 'write a poem that involves alliterationconsonance, and assonanceAlliteration is the repetition of a particular consonant sound at the beginning of multiple words. Consonance is the repetition of consonant sounds elsewhere in multiple words, and assonance is the repetition of vowel sounds.'

Great,  I've been wanting a format challenge and now I have one,  but what to write about? I'm going away on the 1 May - perfect timing - and one of the first things we're doing is a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls. I was really excited to book it,  but now my risk aversion has kicked in and I'm wondering how I'll get through it!


What was I thinking? 
I could kick myself, 
The fear of flying over the abyss
Outweighs the bliss I felt before
Reality set in. 
This is the person who felt the impossibility 
Of passing from solid floor
To glass parapet, who cowered 
At the top of the Blackpool tower,
Opting to take the picture -
Far better than the pitch and roll
Of vertigo.
This is the person who gave the gift
Of a balloon ride, loving the idea,
Whose fear of falling made her choose 
To eschew the thrill,
And follow safely on the ground.
At sixty seven, it's surely time
To grasp the nettle, new undiscovered mettle,
Screw my courage to the sticking place,
Finally face my fears.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India