Praia da Rocha, Algarve

Day 16: 'write a poem in which you closely describe an object or place, and then end with a much more abstract line that doesn’t seemingly have anything to do with that object or place, but which, of course, really does. The “surprise” ending to this James Wright poem is a good illustration of the effect we’re hoping you’ll achieve. An abstract, philosophical kind of statement closing out a poem that is otherwise intensely focused on physical, sensory details.'

I've chosen to write about a moment in time that was a gift from my first husband.  He encouraged me to fully absorb the moment using all five senses,  so I could call it up in times of stress, which I tend to do if I ever need dental work or other medical procedure! I've never thought to turn it into poetry until now. 



The whorls of the bright blue, wind-worn, slatted-wood beach lounger 
Echo my fingerprints, as the sun beats down on my tender, 
Sun-baked, sunscreened skin, the sweet smell of coconut mingling
With the roast garlic-drenched sardines from the beachfront restaurant,
Where we will eat later, once I've tired of tanning, 
And the shrieks of our children's play turn to demands for food.  
Until then I listen to the waves crashing on the beach, 
Trying to match my breath to the pace of each wave,
While a kaleidoscope of red, orange, white, wildly dances
As the sun tries to pierce through my unprotected eyelids.
I wish I had been a kinder wife.  


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India