Poltergeist

Day 19: 'What are you haunted by, or what haunts you? Write a poem responding to this question. Then change the word haunt to hunt.'

I honestly don't think I'm haunted by anything.  Of course I've done things I'm not proud of,  but I've made my peace with them. Instead, I've chosen to write more literally about haunting, using a story my sister told me about the period when they first moved into their house.  Oddly enough, this came up in a conversation with my daughter earlier this week.  Coincidence? 


At first, we thought it was the chaos of moving, 
The upheaval in our lives making us forget the little things, 
Where we'd put the keys, left a bag, our glasses. 
It was only when we knew for certain, 
When they turned up in places we'd definitely not been, 
We began to believe the unbelievable.
Gathered in the hallway, taking strength
From our new family unit, but feeling foolish, 
A tiny bit scared, we issued a challenge:
'Stop trying to make our lives difficult, 
Stop trying to make us afraid;
This is our house now, and we're staying.'
Maybe we simply settled into our new home, 
Created new routines, found a place for the keys. 
But after that, we had no more problems.  


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All