Compromised

Napowrimo early bird prompt: "Pick a word from the list below. Then write a poem titled either “A [your word]” or “The [your word]” in which you explore the meaning of the word, or some memory you have of it, as if you were writing an illustrative/alternative definition." I chose the word 'window' as they fascinate me.


This square pane of glass, newly polished,
Separates me from the world.
Insubstantial, transparent, translucent,
It forms a mental barrier
Between the ease of comforting fiction,
And the effort of outside.
While I sit here over a morning coffee,
My plans for the day still have the glow of possibility.
Reluctance to make a start is far from laziness
It's prompted by the knowledge
That once I move beyond the pane
Their promise will be compromised 
By the inevitable weight of reality. 

© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India