Stronghold

Day 25: 'Begin by reading e e cummings’ poem [somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond]. This is a pretty classic love poem, so well-known that it has spawned at least one silly meme. Today’s prompt challenges you to also write a love poem, one that names at least one flower, contains one parenthetical statement, and in which at least some lines break in unusual places.'


From this place I will never travel willingly;
   I am held here, safely   
Cupped in your strong hands,
   as broad as an embrace.

I never would have dreamed my hands
   (ample, queen-sized) 
Could feel almost dainty like a daisy 
   resting on a sunflower head.

Your solid fingers scarcely fit
   between my own,
Forcing them apart each time we clasp 
   each other tight. 

Yet, oh how delicately you trace 
   my skin with those
Thick fingers, bringing sunshine 
   to my dark spaces. 

Nobody else in all the world 
   that I have met
Holds such exquisite, tender
   power in their hands.  


© Copyright 2023. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India