Radio Times

I took a copy of Writing Magazine away on holiday,  and this came out of one of the exercises. It reflects on my changing tastes when listening to the radio.  


Teenaged Friday nights
Soaking in the bath
Bubbles teased up into peaks
I listened to the charts on pirate radio
Getting into the mood before the disco. 

Late nights in digs
Laying languidly in bed
Covers tangled into waves
I listened to the Shopping Forecast
Before Sailing By into sleep. 

Afternoons away from a new baby
Decorating our first house
Trestle tables, paper, paint, 
A cheeky packet of fags,
I transformed as I danced to Radio 1.

Early morning commutes 
Stuck fast in traffic
Worrying about what the day would hold
Dreaming of escape routes
I listened to the dulcet tones of Terry Wogan.

These days I prefer silence
Except for those days when, with a coffee after lunch
I chose poetry, plays, podcasts, 
Whatever, always available, whenever I want,
To catch up on BBC Sounds. 

© Copyright 2023. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India