Dawn chorus

My husband had to leave the house early this morning.  He's competing in a fishing competition and one of his superstitious rituals is me wishing him luck just before he leaves. He always leaves me an insulated cafetiere of coffee, and I often drift back to sleep once he's gone.  Not this morning though! 
   

You wake me early to say goodbye - 
The sun burns the clouds from the horizon 
Turning our valley golden as it climbs the sky. 
The low bellow of cattle, rattling bleats of sheep
Grumpily drift across the emerging fields, to join
The crows' slow scold, the plump fluting of woodpigeons,
In a raucous dawn chorus. At its crescendo
The sun crests the hill in a sudden blinding dazzle, 
And all my dreams of sleep are surrendered. 


© Copyright 2022. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India