In the presence of Brian Bilston

At the last minute I decided to go to see Brian Bilston perform at the Bath Festival.  Unfortunately it was too late notice for any of my friends to come along,  but it was still a nice trip out! 

Last minute tickets I had found
And drove, excited, into town
To board the Landsdown Park and Ride
And watch the drizzle, drip down outside. 
I had an hour,  which seemed an age
Before the poet took the stage,
So coffee and cake (zucchini and lime)
Rather nicely filled the time. 
A polite, low buzz filled the room - 
A middle class audience I presume -
As I dashed down these lines, with all their flaws
In time for his entry,  and our applause. 
All too soon the hour was ended
The time alas, could not be extended
For all our questions; instead we queued
To get our books signed, it would be rude
Not to.  The poet was humble, polite and kind,
To all that offered him their books to sign, 
He even found time to wish me well - 
And I fell much deeper beneath his spell.  


© Copyright 2022. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India