Silver linings

Day 13: write a poem about the hope that everything will turn out well. Sometimes, good fortune can seem impossibly distant, but perhaps you can muse on the possibility of good things coming down the track. 


My mum always told me to count my blessings. 
To be honest,  that often felt like a kick in the teeth, 
If I had some blessings to count, I'd not need her reassurance. 
Sometimes I just felt a bit down, what I needed was
A big fat hug and a dose of tea and sympathy. 

When I phoned her to say I'd been miserable
My teenage marriage one huge mistake
She told me I'd made my bed and must lie in it,
No marriage a bed of roses, clouds have silver linings,
Before reminding me once more to count my blessings.

I counted those blessings for twenty eight years
And it's true there were many silver linings
Before I realised the grass really was greener 
On the other side of the marriage fence.
Her advice gave me two of the best things in my life. 

So when you tell me of your troubles I try to really listen, 
Try not to hide my discomfort behind easy idioms.
But really what I tell you is just a paraphrasing
Of my mum's wise words. Yes, things may look impossible now, 
But good times will come back.  Eventually.  

© Copyright 2022. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India