Sausage soliloquy

Day 20: "write a poem that anthropomorphizes a kind of food. It could be a favorite food of yours, or maybe one you feel conflicted about. I feel conflicted about Black Forest Cake, for example. It always looks so pretty in a bakery window, and I want to like the combination of cherries and chocolate . . . but I don’t. But how does the cake feel about it?"

I used to love pork sausages. To my parents frustration I'd usually order them when they took us out for a special meal. I still cook them for other people,  but haven't eaten meat since I was 25.


What ever did I do to turn you away 
From my fleshy delights, 
My saucy spit and sizzle, 
Towards my insipid, virtuous cousin? 
Each time I grow fat in your pan
Moving through quarter turns
Temptingly browning in my own grease,
I hold my breath, hoping this time
Will be the time you choose me, not her.
Vain hope! 
I'm always rolled onto the other's plate. 
At least he still loves me. 

© Copyright 2022. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India