Birthday gifts

Day 29: write a poem in which you muse on the gifts you received at birth — whether they are actual presents, like a teddy bear, or talents – like a good singing voice – or circumstances – like a kind older brother, as well as a “curse” you’ve lived with (your grandmother’s insistence on giving you a new and completely creepy porcelain doll for every birthday, a bad singing voice, etc.). 


I have often given thanks 
For the gift of height, donated
Unknowingly by my father's ancestors,
An unspoken benison bestowed each time
I've reached into the dim depths of a cupboard
Or peered over the bobbing heads of a crowd.
 
Less gratitude has been expressed
For the girth, the width, the breadth,
The frankly weighty flesh, 
The stocky, heavyset physiques
That blessed my rugby playing uncles,
My hard as nails 'Big Nan'.

Despite the curse of genetic gifts
That failed to make me tall and slender -
An ethereal Redgrave, a gamine Twiggy -
I've enjoyed the benefits of being buxom,
Lived happily with being Rubenesque, or best, 
An Amazon: statuesque, capable, and strong.


© Copyright 2022. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India