Smoking

I was an intermittent social smoker for years - never more than one or two packs a week,  but I enjoyed it. I'd give up for a few years,  then take it up again when life got tricky.  I finally gave up for good in 2004, when each drag made my lungs hurt! 


That enticingly sweet waft of tobacco smoke
Time travels me back across the years
To the acrid flare of the match,
The catch of flame to paper on the inhale, 
The first slow drag turning the tip red, 
The hiss as the tobacco burns, 
The successive neat taps on the ashtray rim, 
The casual flick of ash to the ground;
The feeling of self indulgence, lighting up
After a strong black coffee, 
After each round in the pub. 
I never miss it - 
Until that teasing scent wafts my way. 

© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace

Leave taking

Freewheeling