Atlas

Someone I know recently horrified me, by saying "this is the best we'll ever be". I do hope not! Throughout my whole life I've been trying to improve myself in various ways, including trying to get fit, lose weight, keep my mind sharp. It sometimes feels like a losing battle,  but I'm not ready to give up yet! 

The crest of this hill
Appears to disappear
Farther away with each step I take.
There's no boulder on my shoulders
Just the weight of years
Of trying and failing
To reach my goals. 
I'm tired of the burdens 
Each year adds to the trial:
Arthritis, high blood sugar, 
Poor eyesight, obesity. 
When all I want is
To bound over the summit
Feeling nothing but wind in my hair
And a sense of arrival.

© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?