The owls of Owlpen

 We live close to Owlpen in Gloucestershire,  which lives up to its name. 


Pulling my covers tight, 
My first night alone in a new house,
I tell myself I'm safe, locked in, 
Each creak and groan that makes me start
Is the house settling into the cool night.

Whoo-oooo, whoo-oooo
The owls of Owlpen are talking tonight, 
Lulling me to sleep with their questions
Whoo-oooo is this city dweller who has moved here?
A soft and gentle welcome. 

Then - Tuh-weeet! Tuh-weeet!
The strident female answers with a shriek
Its unsettling cry piercing through my doze. 

I pull my covers tighter, 
The owls of Owlpen are hunting tonight. 


© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 


Comments

  1. Owls owling in evening are wonderful but I'm always more moved by the just-pre-dawn tweeters.
    Nicely captured moment, though. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?