Ageing sunworshipper

Yesterday I had to face up to yet another sign that I'm not as young as I was - to be honest it's been creeping up on me over the last few years,  I've just not been ready to accept I don't do heat as well as I used to. 



Her body still thinks it craves the sun
Taking her outside every bright day
Making up reasons to be out of doors. 
Her body forgets that years have passed
Since that schoolgirl in her bikini 
Lay dripping in the garden all day long
Revising for exams in the summer heat.
Years since sunbathing was a ritual
Her towel like a sundial,
Her body turning as if on a spit. 
Years since her group of friends
Made acrostic holiday t-shirts, hers:
Crazy hippie really into sunshine.
She should have been listening that last trip abroad, 
When it was too hot - stomach clenched, 
Head swimming - to force herself onto the lounger.
These days she'd do better to seek the shade, 
Wear a hat, sunglasses, carry water, 
As she is forced back inside, 
After a mere half hour of sun. 


© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?