The art of losing

Day 23: write a poem that responds, in some way, to another poem. This could be as simple as using a line or image from another poem as a jumping-off point, or it could be a more formal poetic response to the argument or ideas raised.

I've chosen as my starting point One Art by Elizabeth Bishop, a poem about loss.  I've written about something I worry about losing - my memory. Bishop's poem is a type of villanelle, a favourite poetic form of mine,  but it is quite tricky. 


The art of losing was easier to master
Once I accepted my memory is shot;
Blank spaces no longer feel like a disaster. 

At first, unwilling to accept, I'd fluster
Feigning my way through gaps a lot - 
Bluffing was a skill I quickly tried to master. 

If nothing came to mind,  I'd bluster
Hoping they'd not think I'd lost the plot
Admitting forgetfulness seemed like disaster. 

As time went on, I knew I'd have to adjust, or
Else be found out, judged a clot,
Quick-fire pretence is very hard to master. 

The first time, when I trusted the asker
Would not judge me, I admitted to a blot
And found admission did not presage disaster. 

So now,  if I can't recall, I'll answer
I'm sorry but I have forgot,
My life's been so full,  I cannot be master
Of all my memories.  It's no disaster. 


 © Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 




Comments

  1. Oh. masterful take-off, Chris.
    In addition to gaping, open-mouthed in total admiration of your craft, I'm nodding knowingly because I'm slipping, these days, into the same boat, though mostly --so far, anyway -- it's just people's names and (thankfully) not names of those I love and care about, but only the names of celebrities, TV Anchors, Book Titles (not content), etc.

    This poem is perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?