Hare brained

Day 24: today's prompt is to find a factual article about an animal – just make sure it repeats the name of the animal a lot. Now, go back through the text and replace the name of the animal with something else – it could be something very abstract, like “sadness” or “my heart,” or something more concrete, like “the streetlight outside my window that won’t stop blinking.” You should wind up with some very funny and even touching combinations, which you can then rearrange and edit into a poem.

I chose the hare - an animal with a rich folkloric history - and let it take me back to a time when my life was not so settled and  believed in a fantasy.  


Back then, 
Mad as a March hare
Staring at its reflection in the moon, 
I lay in thrall to Aphrodite
Pining for a lost love. 
Too timid for my own good
Unable to face the risk of knowing
Too ready to dash away should danger appear
I never noticed the tortoise creeping up behind me.

Nowadays, I'm grateful 
I didn't make it through the bramble patch
To make my home in a scrape of land.
I'd be boxing his ears in frustration
Staring at my reflection in the moon
Pining for a lost life. 

 © Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 






Comments

  1. There's always something to be said for the way things turn out...however that may be, eh?
    Cool write, this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this . The line "unable to face the risk of knowing", almost stands on it's own.
    Good peom

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?