Christine

 Day 14: write a poem about the meaning of your first or last name.  I've recently written one based on my surname,  so here's one on my "Christian" name. 


Tired of being told I'm a "follower of Christ" when I'm paganly not,
I come across the Urban Dictionary, where "people define their own world"
And I begin to recognise myself again. 

"Easy to be around": a good start!
Uncontroversial,  calming,  relaxing -
I'd like to be around someone like that. 

"Witty,  intelligent,  good sense of humour":
What me? Too kind. But it's true I love learning,
Enjoy puns; just don't ask me to tell you a joke! 

"Caring,  sympathetic,  a great listener": another tick!
This is something I've been told all my life, along with -
You care too much to be a professional counsellor. 

"Honest,  trustworthy,  dependable": hmmm, in the main.
It's hard to tell a lie, impossible to break a promise, 
But can't deny I've cheated in the past (see, too honest!) 

"Great imagination": it's hard to be a poet otherwise. 
It's true I'm always dreaming,  living in the what if,
Head in a book,  willingly sharing alternative realities. 

"Finds it hard to accept compliments": so true!
I'm very ordinary,  won't leave a gaping hole behind me,
These 'definitions' are nothing but compliments.

I'll stop now before I get too big-headed, 
Before I start believing in this street dictionary. 
They must have known some wicked Christines. 


© Copyright 2021. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?