Thinking outside the tap

Thinking outside the tap

Wouldn't you know, just when i was planning a period of rest and review, life threw me a curved ball and I just had to capture it on paper!

Our water supply failed last night
Suddenly,  with no warning.
One minute I was rinsing a bowl of strawberries
(So trivial an act, such a profligate waste)
The next the stream had slowed to a trickle,
A gurgle,  a drop,  a drip,
The pipework growling like a disturbed dog.

We checked with the neighbours -
All in the same beached boat
Some resigned, some humorous,
None were panicking like me.
We checked with the water company -
A standard message: due to unprecedented demand
In an exceptionally dry period, (blah, blah, blah)
They value our custom and are working tirelessly (etc, etc, etc).
We checked on the local Facebook group -
It rumoured all would be fixed by 2am.
We joked our teeth would have to wait until the morning;
This morning nothing had changed.

I thought I understood the importance of water,
How precious a resource it is.
I buy Wateraid Christmas cards,
Toilet rolls supporting third world toilets,
We collect rainwater in tanks,
Fill the kettle with just enough,
Turn off the taps to clean our teeth.

But in the 24 hours since the tap ran dry
I've lost count of the times
I've gone to wash my hands,
Gone to fill the kettle
Gone to wipe down the worktop,
Gone to wash the dishes
Only to realise I'm faced with a useless dry pipe.

We've drained the water butt
Robbing the garden to flush the toilet,
(Shh, not every time it's been used)
Bought bottles for drinking,
Started using hand gel, hoping the virus won't notice
We've stopped washing with soap for 20 seconds.

Each day of lockdown taught me how much I take for granted
Each hour without water teaches me about more basic needs.
Now I really know the importance of water.


© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All