Ageing boots

Ageing boots

In search of inspiration this morning I picked a word at random from a book - mountains.  I've had an on-off relationship with mountains - for years I slogged up and down them convinced I should be finding them easier.  I've made my peace with them now.


I've always loved walking
To school, to the park on the other side of town,
Home from the pub, bus fare spent,
Charity walks where I said goodbye to toenails
Too stubborn, or too stupid, to give up.

Inspired by a lecture by Chris Bonnington
I followed my boyfriend into the hiking club,
University Sundays spent high in the Lake District
The long hard slog rewarded by brief summit elation,
The masochistic taunt of landscapes still to explore.

I still love the pace of the landscape passing me by
The strength in my legs easing my journey,
The bouncy spring of boots on grass,
The challenge of stepping from rock to rock,
The tap-tapping of feet on pavements.

As I've aged I've come to prefer a more linear walk
Along a canal,  across a common,  through woods.
I enjoy my life of calm rolling hills,
In place of the drama of mountains.


© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All