Where does it come from?

Where does it come from?

Day 14: think about your own inspirations and forebears (whether literary or otherwise). Specifically, write a poem that deals with the poems, poets, and other people who inspired you to write poems. 

At the age of ten, my teacher, 
Name forgotten, sorry Miss,
Did something new and unexpected.
We should write a poem 
About any animal - we could choose. 
I wasn't worried,  
I was 'good at creative writing'
This should be easy. 
A few long moments followed,
Weighing up this and that
Then a flash of inspiration struck:
I wrote my first poem ever, about
Going back to school after illness.

I didn't consider it was wrong
To ignore her direct instruction.
I was off on a flight of fancy
Half based on my memories
Half driven by each word on the page
As it poured from my pen,
Pages and pages flowed direct from my heart.

When I finished I was anxious -
I was used to doing what I'd been told.
Luckily for me she was a good teacher:
The poem was lauded,
And made it to the school magazine.
My mum showed it off to all her friends.

So I'd like to give credit where it is due
To the wonderful teacher, forever nameless,
Who nurtured my small talent
Seeded pride in my writing, and
All these years later
Inspires me to keep trying
To get it right.


© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Ruthless resolve