The Kiss

The Kiss

Today's NaPoWriMo challenge is to write an ekphrastic poem - one inspired by a work of art - from the point of view of its subject.  I've chosen The Kiss by Klimt, and  whilst I'm pleased a chose a light hearted approach after yesterday's depressing poem,  I hope I've not spoilt it for anyone!


I was all of a flutter when Klimt came round,
Asking me to to sit for his new painting.
I'd always fancied myself as a model
So when he said I'd be naked
Under a sumptuous golden gown, surrounded by flowers
I thought, here's your chance girl and agreed on the spot.
But that wasn't the best of it:
I'd be posing with a man, the gorgeous bloke down the hall
And what's more - we'd be kissing!
I thought all my Sundays had come at once.

On the day of the sitting I showered and preened,
Brushed my hair till it cascaded down my back in a river
Made my face up, turned up at the studio my very best self.
Adonis was already there, stripped off and ready
His naked chestnut limbs escaping from his gown
My breathless reverie brusquely interrupted by the maestro -
"Get your clothes off girl, come on, we haven't got all day".
I slipped chastely behind a screen and into my gown
Caressed by the silk lining, weighed down by its golden brocade,
I climbed onto the platform, saw his waiting arms
Then moved in as directed, for a clinch.

Imagine my horror as just at that moment
A waft of stale garlic assaulted my nose
It was all I could do to keep close to Adonis
Who grasped my head firmly between his strong hands
But I turned my face away as he loomed in for The Kiss.

Of course Klimt liked the tension, thought it was rapture
Decided to capture the moment for ever in oils:
Until now only I knew the secret of my expression -
It's less of a kiss, more of an advert for toothpaste.



© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All