Self reliance

Self reliance

Day 4: a poem based on an image from a dream

Last night I found myself lost, in endless streets
Filled with people who knew where they were going
Full of purpose, busy, bustling, confident.
Each time I asked them where to go
I met blank looks, shaken heads, cold shoulders.
At last I found a friend, a known dear face to guide me
Through the indifferent throng, to safe familiarity.

Awake, I'm chastened. I don't need a dream to teach me
I rely too much on others,  always happy to defer
Instead of finding my own way, making a decision.
And yet, maybe I need a nudge in the right direction,
Maybe it is time for change.

© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All