Sonnet for Phil

Sonnet

While I was away I joined a creative writing class, which gave some structure, and calm to the day.  One of the challenges was to write a poem in sonnet form,  and since they are usually (but not always) about love I came up with this one,  dedicated to my husband,  Phil.

When first I saw you on the course that year
I did not see beyond the outer shell
Grey hair, moustache, your words at best unclear
Your place in my future I could not tell.
And yet with time you worked upon my heart
As your friendship, spirit, valour, unfurled,
And bit by bit I  felt strong feelings start
Then turn to love,  and you became my world.
Now life without you by my side seems strange
My life before we met a distant blur
I never dreamt things could so wildly change
But there is no doubt which life I prefer.
That summer school, far from home, in an unknown town
You righted my world by turning it upside down.



© Copyright 2020. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?