Alternative Christmas

Alternative Christmas

Yes,  I know it's too early to be thinking about the C- word but there's a competition I'm thinking of entering and they need entries submitted by 15th November,  which isn't that far away! I doubt this will make the cut but I thought I'd share my first attempt.


I'm dreaming of a green Christmas
Unlike the ones we used to know
We'll reuse the tree for the fourteenth year
Leave the living ones  free to grow.

I've found a stash of odd greeting cards
Left over from years gone by
If I can remember who I've sent which ones to
I won't need to buy more this time.

I'm determined not to rush around the shops
Trying to think what people would enjoy
I'm making the presents myself instead
Chutney, jam, sloe gin,  knitted toys.

We're not jetting or sailing away this year
(Our planned Christmas break was a cruise)
Now it's cancelled we'll be staying beside the log fire
Drowning disappointment with (home made) booze.

We've carefully planned our menus
So there's just enough to avoid any waste
All delivered to our door by organic box scheme
With a few extra treats just in case.

And when it's over and it's time to pack it away
I'll cut up the cards for labels next year
Recycle the wrapping paper, compost the scraps,
Feeling full of green Christmas cheer!


© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?