Journey

Journey

My poetry group has as its theme this month: journeys,  modes of transport.  I've picked out some good ones from my poetry books, and have also written this, as a reminder to myself not to take things like mobility for granted.

Reduced to a walking frame
(Shuffle, hop, shuffle, hop.
Rest.  Repeat.)
Each journey
Planned meticulously
In advance
To avoid retracing
Effortful steps.
Each day confined
To the space between
Armchair
Freezer
Bathroom.
Stairs a mountain
To climb posterially
Once each day.

Weeks later,  and I am freed.
Free to wear normal shoes (trainers! sandals!)
Free to walk without thinking about every step
Free to drive wherever the whim might take me
Free to forget and go back for something - even upstairs!
Free to tend the garden, decorate, do the monthly shop
Free to attend book group,  art group,  poetry group
Free to drive myself to meet up for coffee
Free to visit my grandchildren,  after twelve long weeks.

Free to live and love my life again, now l am healed.




© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Lady Godiva Reveals All