Getting from here to there

Getting from here to there

My husband keeps asking if I'm ready to drive again,  but I'm not in any rush.


In the nine weeks since I've driven -
Six in plaster,  three learning to walk again -
My silver machine has sat idle
Waiting for me to recover.

I wish I could tell you
I long to get back behind its wheel
To free you from ferrying me around.

But for now,  I'm happy
Expanding my horizons on foot
Building stronger muscle tone
Accustoming my bones to this new way of walking,
Re-learning how to climb stairs, without a stick.

Of course I miss independence,
Going out without making arrangements.
But until I can move without thinking,
Without pain,  without anxiety,
My car can stay idle.



© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Ruthless resolve