Storm

Storm

This month's Writing magazine explores the difference between free verse and rhyming verse, in relation to how we choose to end each line.  It suggests writing two poems about a storm, one in free verse where each line ends with a word evoking fear,  and the other where the lines rhyme. I know which one I prefer - how about you?

1.

Caught
In the thunder's crash
The flash
Of lightening creeping
Ever nearer,
The whip
Of the trees' lash
Ancient branches creaking
Groaning,  shrieking
Overhead. Hurry
Through drenching dark,
Scurry, disoriented,
Lost,
Shiver,  shudder,
Fingers freezing,
Searching for the lights of home.

2.

Caught in the sudden thunder's crash
Dazzled by the lightening flash
Under frantic whipping trees that lash
Towards the lights of home I dash.

Creaking branches wildly thrash
Ancient oak,  beech,  elm and ash,
My homeward flight beneath them rash
Through hidden puddles madly splash.

While up above dark forces clash,
Untethered bins roll free and smash
Against the fence,  ripping a gash
And strew around their soggy trash.

I slam the door behind me fast
I've reached the warmth of home,  at last.

© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?