Sketching my hand

Sketching my hand

I haven't been able to get to art group since my operation,  so I've been sketching whatever comes to hand.  This afternoon I decided to draw my left hand,  something I have done over the years as it's always conveniently there in front of me! Today though, I was struck by just how many lines amd wrinkles there are on it - it has become an old lady's hand.

Where did all these lines come from -
These crevices,
These lumps and bumps,
These barely hidden veins?
The pencil outlines each indentation
Each fold of the skin,
Each in and out
Of fingers, no longer smooth.
The back of my hand admits
It has lost its elasticity
Almost without me noticing,
Until the truth of this life drawing
Captured it in honest observation.
All my six decades visible
As this gnarled hand
Emerges on the page.


© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?