Round and round

Round and round

Day 26: Today’s prompt is to write a poem that uses repetition. You can repeat a word, or phrase. You can even repeat an image, perhaps slightly changing or enlarging it from stanza to stanza, to alter its meaning. 

I've chosen to use the pantoum form, where the 2nd and 4th lines of each 4 line stanza become the 1st and 3rd of the next, and the poem ends with its 1st line.  This circular format reflects the way thoughts are constantly going round and round my brain at the moment, as I worry about,  and plan for, the aftermath of an upcoming operation on my foot. 


Like an infernal,  demonic kind of jazz
Thoughts are swirling through my head
I long for peace,  some acceptance,  as
Each night I lay fretting in my bed. 

Thoughts swirl in spirals through my head
My body keeping time,  tossing and turning, 
Through the long night,  fretting in my bed
Going over and over things,  stomach churning. 

My body keeps time,  tossing and turning
With each repeated phrase,  in frenzied syncopation
Going over and over,  my stomach churning
No nearer to finding a calm resolution. 

Each repeated phrase has its own syncopation
Its sense becomes lost,  becomes a rhythmic impasse
My thoughts preventing a calm resolution
In an infernal,  demonic kind of jazz.


© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?