Are you listening to me?

Are you listening to me?

Day 20: write a poem that “talks", that's largely based in spoken language, interspersed with the speaker/narrator’s own responses and thoughts. Try to write a poem grounded in language as it is spoken - the messy, fractured, slangy way people speak in real life.



You know that old dustbin, I say, 
That's been down by the shed for ages,  
The one we took out of the workshop 
That time we were looking for, what was it? 
My memory gets worse every day.  Old age! 
You know,  that time 
You'd finally got around to putting up the shelves in the bathroom 
I love them,  they've made such a difference
That's it! You were looking for the drill 
After turning the workshop upside down and inside out 
We found it in the cupboard under the stairs.
Typical! 
I thought we'd use it as a water butt. 
The bin. 
I'm tired of lugging watering cans down the garden 
All the way from the kitchen sink. 
And the onions are looking parched, 
They've not had any water for days
Must do it later. Poor things. 
What d'you think? 
Can I do that? 
Are you listening? 
You're always buried in that phone 
Or doing a crossword 
Or just away with the fairies
Thinking about whatever it is you think about 
Whenever I'm talking to you.  
Don't you want to know what I'm thinking of doing?
Right I'll just go ahead and do it then. 
What's that?
You were listening? 
What did I say then?


© Copyright 2019. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Do you have a preference?