Dragonfly dance

Dragonfly dance

I'm on holiday in central France and the one thing I've really noticed is the incredible number of insects there are here. I'm guessing it's because Limousin is a beef cattle region and the fields aren't sprayed like they are in the UK.

It darts across my eye line
Cruising low over the water,
A tiny insect helicopter
Lands at my feet.
I freeze, and see
Four translucent wings
Each delicately patterned
Stretched like brittle cellophane
Stiff in the sunshine,
Velvet body pulsing in the heat.
Another lands a few inches away
Then both take off,
Circle and re-land,
Circle and re-land,
A repetitive dance.
A mating ritual?
A territorial battle?
I move,  and will never know.



© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India