Warning

Warning

Write a warning label - for yourself!  I spent some time wondering where my trigger points are and found there's lots of advice I could give to myself : don't allow near biscuits or cake; don't load games onto your tablet etc. But I wanted to produce a poem warning others about an aspect of my personality they might not be aware of,  as I don't like it very much, and try very hard to keep it hidden.  It's hard to be this honest,  but the process of writing this poem was beneficial,  and ended up being a warning to myself not to take things so much to heart.


Care instructions:

Such a docile exterior,  so willing to please
So generous with her time,  her attention,  her cash,
She'll always try to say yes,  drop existing plans to help you
Offer without prompting, be your rock in a storm.

But, user beware! If you should repeatedly
Forget to say thank you,  take her for granted
Contact her only when you need her help
Assume she'll be there without even asking,
Never return the favour, or show interest in her
Show your annoyance if she dares ever to say no,

Then - know that inside she'll be damaged,
Feel deeply hurt,  used, and exploited,
Resent being asked again and again.
She'll store up each grievance and dwell on it endlessly
Wonder why you don't treat her like she's treated you,
She'll try to discover where the fault in her lies,
And a piece of her love for you will wither and die.




© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. This has really made me think long and hard about a difficult relationship that I have ... I love the use of the third person-it works really well in this context. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India