Treasure

 Treasure

"Take a saying and turn it on its head."  I'm not sure I've done that,  but today's prompt triggered a memory from my childhood.

I remember one golden childhood holiday
Swimming in the rough surf,
Digging in the soft sands, of Woolacombe Bay,
Trailing home tired but happy at the end of each day.
One afternoon,  scuffing up the sand on the wooden boardwalk,
I found,  not one or two,  but eight half crowns
(That's given my age away!)
Nestling,  half hidden, glinting dully in the sand,
Waiting there,  as if just for me.
I stopped stock still, half shocked,  half not believing,
Dropped to my knees,  sifted them free.
It felt too much to keep, a treasure
Too much wealth to come across by chance,
But my dad said "finders keepers"
And I scrabbled them to safety in my pocket.

Nowadays it's no good scanning pavements,
Too many people pay by card,  or app.
Perhaps I used up all my luck that day long ago,
Or am being gently reminded I'm lucky enough these days
And should leave any dropped coins for those more in need.



© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.


Comments

  1. This has conjured up many memories of finding treasure as well. I really enjoyed this one Chris-so well written. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India