Small acts of rebellion

Small acts of rebellion

The speaker or the subject, or the form of the poem,  should defy a rule or stricture that's been placed upon them.

I was brought up to be compliant
To be a woman in a man's world
Look your best (make the most of what you've got)
Try to fit in (what will the neighbours think)
Don't argue (if you can't say something nice,  don't say anything at all).

I've struggled with these strictures all my life.
But it seems my mum schooled me well
And just like then
I conform,  with small acts of rebellion.

Look your best!
I've never been a girlie girl:
Make up,  hair,  high heels and all that crap
Is saved for when I decide to play at dressing up.

Fit in!
I've always hankered after a certain look,
(Bohemian ageing hippie)
But never had the nerve to try it on for size.
Instead it appears in understated ways -
Flamboyant earrings, brightly patterned scarves,
Hidden tattoos.

Don't argue!
Even now,  l find it hard to confront,  to disagree
I've never been comfortable 'having words'
Get upset instead of angry.
But when I'm alone,  when no one's listening
I rant and rave and swear and shout
Put right the injustices of my world
Find the perfect put downs
Stand up for myself
Rehearse what I'll say,  next time.

It's easier now I'm in my sixties
I'm less worried about what 'people' might think
But I'm still at heart a pleaser
And that will never change.

Thanks mum!


© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India