Me, you, they

Me,  you,  they.

Today's prompt is to write something from different viewpoints,  possibly using voices in the first, second and third person.  I don't know why, as I've never experienced speed dating,  but this is what came to me.

I stand outside the door,
Nervous, excited,  full of dread.
This could be the night I meet "the one"
Or I could get no points at all.
I've dressed with care,  'fun', but not tarty
Had my hair done,  but not trying too hard,
Make-up natural,  nothing too obvious,
I'm going to sound interested,  try not to be needy.
I paste on a smile,  push through the doors.

You enter the room like you own it,
Confident,  sassy,  smiling with ease,
Everything about you polished,  neat as a pin.
You've obviously tried very hard,
But you're beige,  middle of the road,
Neither one thing nor another.
How's a bloke meant to know who you are?

They eye each other up
Her number 3, his number 5,
Four minutes of chat,  it's not very long
To break beneath the surface of their shells.
She's trying too hard,  he's giving nothing away,
If only they'd relax,  try to enjoy it
They would see what I see,
A perfect couple.


© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. The three different voices really emphasised the differing perspectives on the scene. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one-you've really captured the way we can be so misjudged. I love the pathos of the ending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India