On the street where I've lived

List poem

Today's challenge is to write a list poem, the suggestion being all the items are made-up names - band names,  titles for romantic novels, new television cop dramas etc. Hmm..... not very inspiring,  but I thought I could work with the idea of a list of the street names where I've lived throughout my life.  Here's what I came up with.  

Tynemouth Road, London
Too young to remember
Far from the Tyne,  in another grey city. 

Rosebank Avenue, Elm Park 
Leafy London suburb caught parental aspirations
Golden childhood games in gardens and fields.

Euston Grove, Morecambe 
Away from campus,  but close to the bus station 
Views of the Lakeland Fells,  close to the sea.  

Queen Elizabeth Avenue,  East Tilbury 
First mortgage, a challenge financial and practical,  
First years of motherhood, hours spent alone.  

Lower Crescent,  Linford
An estate with a village feel, a park on the doorstep
Lots of committees take up my spare time. 

Ottrells Mead, Bradley Stoke 
Head-hunted husband, a move to the southwest 
An estate full of strangers,  streets full of kids. 

Gloucester Road, Almondsbury 
Country house lodge cottage, posh neighbours around us 
Big house seems empty when the children have gone. 

Alexandra Road, Clifton 
Alone for the first time,  amid brisk city bustle 
Finding my feet,  discovering me.  

Crawley Hill, Uley 
At last in the countryside,  with walks from the door
With a new husband, a new life taking root.  


© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India