Inspiration

Concreting the Abstract

Today's challenge is to pick an abstract noun,  and describe it using 'relentlessly concrete' nouns.  Looking round my house waiting for inspiration to strike,  I came up with this!

Inspiration

Thick felted dust caught on cobwebs
Strung from the ceiling like gothic bunting,
Two pointed knitting needles stab carelessly
Through balls of blue and lilac wool,
Dirtied white plates lay piled in the sink
Last night's curry congealing in greasy orange stains,
A mother-in-law's tongue and Christmas cactus
Wait in their china pots, leaves limp from thirst,
White envelopes unopened on the kitchen table
Hide their contents behind clear windows,
While I stare through windows opaque with grime
Thrown up by cars, vans and buses, on their way past my door.
My house in chaotic disorder, I perch on the settee
All tasks in abeyance, until inspiration has passed.


© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I love this poem-a host of visual images that I could almost reach out and touch. The reference to the windows is so clever-I enjoyed this very much. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India