Early morning city

Early morning city

My last "ready made" poem before the start of the Napowrimo challenge, is another one from 2005 written during my 45 minute walk to work.  It was inspired by an earlier than usual commute and can still take me back to the magic of that morning. 


Leaving my flat early to catch a train
I count twenty people between home and the station.
The number amazes me - the number so low
That I thought of counting.

Birds are waiting to change shift
Crows perch on the lamposts
Not yet ousted by lazy sleep-abed seagulls.

Rubbish bags litter the pavements
Evidences of last night's excesses still visible
Until the road sweeper's brushes return the city to respectability.

It is strange to be about this early
Before the Metro pusher's piles of free papers arrive
And while streets still anticipate the hustling,  bustling commuters.

People behave differently at this hour
Rubbish carts dare illegal manoeuvres to cross the road
People smile and murmur greetings conspiratorially as they pass.

I love this time of morning before the city wakes up
A bubble of quiet surrounding me,  sounds arriving from far away
Like noises in a swimming pool,  not quite real,  mysterious. 

Fleeting thoughts of getting up every day
At this magic hour,  when the city becomes a village
Soon evaporate as the day takes its weary toll.

Perhaps it is better
To save the magic for infrequent reminders
To keep it my own little secret,  to enjoy now and then. 


© Copyright 2018. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Dont go to India

Kindness