Taking a tumble

Today we visited the Temple of Horus at Edfu,  where I was reminded of the importance of paying proper respect to the deities.  



Looking back, I should have been looking down, paying more attention to the ups and dips of the floor, instead of making polite way for incoming tourists. 

I should have known I'd jinx my luck, by not wearing my scarab necklace, by pointing out how all the sculptures had well-defined knees.

After all, this was a temple pharmacy, a sacred place where sculptures round the outer hall drew large the part the priests were asked to cure. 

Down I went. 

A grazed elbow,  a bruised knee,  a greater dent in dignity; nothing a brush down and a dollop of antiseptic cream couldn't put right. 

But, at the next temple along the Nile I'll be sure to show proper respect to the deities flanking the entrance pylon,

instead of seeking the perfect shot of their statues for instagram.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions

A Life Lived Well

The unhappy bride