Radishment

Day 13: 'play with rhyme. Start by creating a “word bank” of ten simple words, one or two syllables apiece. Five should correspond to each of the five senses (i.e., one word that is a thing you can see, one word that is a type of sound, one word that is a thing you can taste, etc). Three more should be concrete nouns of whatever character you choose (i.e., “bridge,” “sun,” “airplane,” “cat”), and the last two should be verbs. Now, come up with rhymes for each of your ten words. Use your expanded word-bank, with rhymes, as the seeds for your poem.'


Salad bowl lunches are quite complete
With leaves,  tomatoes,  cucumber,  beet 
So why did I go and add the radish
Whose aftertaste is so hard to banish?

A compact ball of innocent pinky red
I ate one during prep,  which led
To another,  then another.  Its crispy crunch
Made me glad I'd added them to my lunch. 

Its skin an odd mix of smooth and rough,
I found that three were not enough, 
So as well as those I'd already ate
I sliced two more upon my plate. 

By the time I'd sat down at the table
To eat the meal, I was able
To enjoy the salad,  but only if
I didn't sniff,  and catch a whiff. 

See, for all that radishes are sweet and lush, 
I always feel the need to brush, 
And while their rosy crunch makes me smile
I won't be indulging again for a while.  


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India