This is me

Day 14: 'write a poem of at least ten lines in which each line begins with the same word or phrase. This technique is called anaphora, and has long been used to give poems a driving rhythm.'

It was very tempting to use an old poem I love my kids,  but one of those kids recently shamed me into creating a new poem every day for this challenge.  So I decided to turn it around and think about who or what I am, and what I might like/ love about myself.   It started relatively easily,  with uncontroversial statements, but as the lines went on,  it became a cathartic self revelation - hopefully not too self indulgent!


I am the one who'll always listen, bear your pain, share your worries, celebrate your joy;

I am the one who spins the positive, tries to fashion the silk purse, trace the silver lining;

I am the one who feels at peace when walking through woodland, glimpsing the sky through a tracery of branches;

I am the one who loves carving a path through water, the sensuality of its caress on shoulders, hips, feet, as I push off from the edge;

I am the one who finds a place of zen in pencils or in paint, in trying to capture what lies in front of me onto the page;

I am the one who loves throwing parties, the buzz of being amongst friends,  of bringing together those who would otherwise never meet; 

I am the one who believes in karma, in do as you would be done by, who despises injustice, oppression, tyranny in any form; 

I am the one who can feel awkward in new social situations, who reserves hugs for my family, my lovers, my closest friends;

I am the one who envies those who can dress extravagantly, who longs to step out of the blue-black safety of my wardrobe into a technicolour world;

I am the one who has struggled with an eating disorder, who is learning to hush that inner voice, to relax around food;

I am the one who is driven to share all in my heart, by placing words on a page; who is finally becoming comfortable with the hashtag 'poet'.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India