Albatross

Day 29: ' Taylor Swift has released a new double album titled “The Tortured Poets Department.” In recognition of this occasion, Merriam-Webster put together a list of ten words from Taylor Swift songs. We'd like to challenge you to select one these words, and write a poem that uses the word as its title.'

One of the words jumped out at me, and triggered some uncomfortable thoughts about how my stiff hip might impair any walking on holiday. 


This has been the winter of the albatross, 
Gliding through each day, taking the easy route,
Enjoying the ease of rarely flapping my wings. 

For so long, drawn comfortably round my shoulders,
This same albatross now weighs heavy, nestling 
Amongst the clothes in my suitcase, goading me.

I stuff it down hard, trying to ignore the clack of its beak,
The panic in its shriek;  I must channel its effortless glide,
Forget its ungainly hobble as it stumbles about on land. 


© Copyright 2024. Chris Auger. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave taking

Kindness

Dont go to India